Yes, I've read the docs at
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-development-plugins.html.

But I still don't seem to be able to get an update of maven-install-plugin.
I can see mvn downloading a snapshot from the snapshot repo, but it is still
an old version (2.0-SNAPSHOT).

I can see in the source code that this plugin changed 5 months ago to fix
the problem I am experiencing [MINSTALL-12], but I can't find an up to date
distribution.  Can this be correct?

What is the process for core plugins like this one to be released to central
/ snapshot repository?  Shouldn't a bug fix from 5 months ago have reached
the community by now?  Is there some documentation to help me with this (I
scoured the maven web s ite but came up with nothing)?