Thanks.  I'll try and follow it through the JIRA updates.  You'd think there
would be an easy way to find out the status of core plugins like install
from the main maven website.  Oh well...

But what do I have to build to get this to work?  If I just try to build the
plugin (against 2.0.4) it complains:

~/dev/opvantage/maven/maven-install-plugin>mvn install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.apache.maven.plugins
ArtifactId: maven-plugins
Version: 2-SNAPSHOT

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins:pom:2-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

so there are dependencies that cannot be resolved?  This is all a bit too
complicated in my humble op.