Just thought I'd send a little back to the community.  I coded a
simple eclipse builder plugin that helps speed up webapp development
when using the war plugin.

I'm sure there's something out there that does this already, but this
works pretty well.  If you edit and save a file in either the
'src/main/webapp' directory or a java class file, it copies the output
to the exploaded war directory in 'target', so changes should be
visible immediately rather than after running maven.

Obviously, if you have plugins on your project, they won't get run.
This really came out of a need to speed up jsp editing.  The plugin
will also listen to the output on the compiled classes directory, so
editing java classes in 'src/main/java' will compile to
'target/classes', and from there be copied to the webapp exploded
directory.

The plugin also takes 'finalName' into account.  However, it does not
look into parent pom definitions, etc, so more tricky configurations
are not taken into account.

http://www.bigheadco.com/warplugineclipsebuilder

Comments welcome.

-Kevin