From what i read on the maven site plugin, it forks the different
report plugins into separate lifecycles. So since both of the plugins
require the test cases to be compiled, both lifecycles are going to have to
compile them in there own lifecycles.

Not sure as I havent done much research on this yet, but what if the maven
site plugin compiled the sources then ran the report plugins, neither of the
plugins would need to compile the test sources then.

Please correct me if im wrong.

On 11/7/06, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11/7/06, jp4 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This seems like a big issue since our nightly builds usually run all of
> our
> unit and container test cases.  If we have to run the tests twice, it
will
> almost double the build time which is already several hours.

The Shale build also includes Cobertura (thanks to Wendy :-), and it only
runs the second set of tests twice if you execute "site" ... if you
execute
only "install" it just does the normal one time.  Is it required that your

nightly builds generate the site?

If it is, you might see if Maven has a command line option to suppress the
"normal" test phase ... since you know the tests will be run anyway by the
plugin.  Before relying on this, though, I'd want to verify that a test
failure during the Cobertura part actually does abort the build so you
hear
about them.

Is there any way to instrument without invoking the test cases?  It seems
> like you would want to clean, compile, instrument, test, install create
> site
> docs.  Has anyone found a workaround?

The way that Cobertura works, it has to actually execute the tests (using
the instrumented classes) in order to determine which code paths you've
covered and which you haven't.  Just instrumenting wouldn't accomplish
much
that is useful.

Thanks,

> jp4