I've been working on several log4j related projects with Maven recently and I've started having errors during site generation start occurring on projects that had been working. The symptom is:

[WARNING] Error loading report org.apache.maven.plugin.jxr.JxrReport - AbstractMethodError: canGenerateReport() [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error parsing site descriptor

Embedded error: expected START_TAG or END_TAG not TEXT (position: TEXT seen ...g.apache.org/log4j/companions"/>\r </links>\r {$ reports}\r </... @1:1352)

And will disappear if the ${ reports} is removed from src/site/site.xml.

I've been experiencing the problem with Maven 2.0.6 or Maven 2.0.4 on Mac OS/X

java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

and still had the problem after deleting my local repository.

To reproduce the problem, check out the following project:

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/sandbox/log4j/component

and then do "mvn site"

I had previously used {$reports} instead of ${ reports}, but it seemed like both forms use to work and now neither form does.

p.s. I'm a maven newbie, so any comments on the project would be appreciated. Cobertura has been very finicky, saw the note on 2.1 but even using 2.0, I have to manually blow the plugin from the repository and the surefire* files from the project to get the site to produce correctly.