I am finding that profiles are very powerful. As I make more use of them across projects, many of which are unrelated, I find myself copying a profile from one POM to another. Placing profiles in a POM the is extended is impractical because each change to a profile in the POM will prompt a release cycle of the POM and every project that extends the POM.

Thus my question, is their a way of importing a profile from another POM?

Below is how I would expect to use profile importing.

***
* POM of project which imports the profiles cargo_tomcat_remote and
* cargo_jetty_remote and selenium-integration-test.
***
<project>
  <groupId>com.foo.applications</groupId>
  <artifactId>webapp_1</artifactId>
  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>cargo_tomcat_remote</id>
      <groupId>com.foo.profiles</groupId>
      <artifactId>cargo</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      <activation>
      </activation>
    </profile>
    <profile>
      <id>cargo_jetty_remote</id>
      <groupId>com.foo.profiles</groupId>
      <artifactId>cargo</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      <!-- used activation rules in imported profile -->
    </profile>
    <profile>
      <id>selenium-integration-test</id>
      <groupId>com.foo.profiles</groupId>
      <artifactId>selenium</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      <!-- used activation rules in imported profile -->
    </profile>
</project>

***
* POM of project which defines 2 profiles, cargo_tomcat_remote and
* cargo_jetty_remote.
***
<project>
  <groupId>com.foo.profiles</groupId>