I'm really floored that this discussion is even happening.  Here is why:

If people are build their core infrastructure around Maven to the point
where they feel like they should give the project developers a hard time due
to something as simple as documentation, don't you think then that it's time
to contribute?  If you are that upset about it, then you obviously like it.
Therefore, give back to the community and do something productive with your
time rather than complaining.  Complaining won't give the project
contributors more time in their day to write documentation, it will just
simply make them feel unappreciated.  I was always told that you can't
complain about something unless you have a better idea.  If you think there
should be better documentation, help them out rather than hassle them.

I'm managing a full enterprise application with Maven 2, with MANY
subprojects (right about 20 or so), all of them have dependencies on each
other.  I'm also managing our repository, handling releases and deployments
from Maven 2.  I have portlet maven 2 projects in my build, core libraries
(DAO), third party integration libraries, servicemix services and external
web applications (that get loaded externally into the portlet because they
can't be portlets themselves.  And with all that I have to say that I have
not had one time where Maven 2 hasn't provided me a way to get done what I
needed to in a complicated build system and quickly.  If you like ant, then
the antrun plugin is your best friend.  Just tell it when to run and then
that's it.  If I had to do all this in ant, it would have taken me way
longer to create and manage.  Even with managing all of this by myself, I
find PLENTY of time to code and make improvements to the software.  I think
ant builds are way over complicated.  I've seen ant builds that are just a
complete mess because there is no structure to it.  Every Maven project that
I've come across (open source projects I've downloaded) have been very easy
for me to get up and running with.  The ant based ones I downloaded make me
cringe and I don't even want to touch them.  They are very hard to follow
and I can't stand build.xml files that import other build.xml files.

Yes some of the documentation is lacking, but you have to realize this is a
really good project for free and I rarely have ever come across any problems
with due to bugs.  I can stand up a new project in our build in a couple
minutes and instantly have a new component and ready to go.  I think it
takes more planning to how you are going to organize your code and projects
so that dependencies are correct than they are that Maven 2 is just too
difficult.  I think maybe people could be feeling lost due to not being sure
of the best practices, but no one is able to do everything perfectly the
first time.

I've never had problems finding information on what I've needed in places
other than the Maven 2 site, and there is no shame in people having to look
elsewhere.  I'd rather a stable product with less documentation than an
unstable product with documentation (why do I want to learn how to use
something that doesn't work?).  I've found plugins that I thought were hard
to use, so I just use the ant version of them which is cake to plugin.

I applaud the Maven team and am thankful for the time they've put into a
product that has saved me so much time.  Also, Maven is way easier to follow
with a good tool.  Just like code that you are trying to understand is very
hard to follow without a tool.  The Maven 2 netbeans plugin makes this all
so easy to use.