ok good point Wayne! I've disabled the windows firewall and antivirus but i'm
still having no luck:

C:\Users\toby\workspace>mvn -DgroupId=com.test -DartifactId=test -X -U archetype
:create
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
Maven version: 2.0.7
Java version: 1.6.0_03
OS name: "windows vista" version: "6.0" arch: "x86"
[DEBUG] Building Maven user-level plugin registry from: 'C:\Users\toby\.m2\plugi
n-registry.xml'
[DEBUG] Building Maven global-level plugin registry from: 'c:\Program Files\Java
\maven-2.0.7\bin\..\conf\plugin-registry.xml'
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.apache.maven.plugins
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
[DEBUG] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be found o
n repository: central
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.codehaus.mojo
[INFO] org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from central
[DEBUG] repository metadata for: 'org.codehaus.mojo' could not be found on repos
itory: central
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin: checking for up
dates from central
[DEBUG] repository metadata for: 'artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archet
ype-plugin' could not be found on repository: central
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the latest ve
rsion

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:LATEST

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-
plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the release v
ersion

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:RELEASE

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-
plugin:pom:RELEASE
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exi
st or no valid version could be found
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin 'org.apache.m
aven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be
 found
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:1286)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1522)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListBy
AggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:386)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:138)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException: The p
lugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no val
id version could be found
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:228)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:90)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPlug
inManager.java:166)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:1257)
        ... 14 more
[INFO] Total time: 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Nov 20 22:41:53 GMT 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/4M

C:\Users\toby\workspace>