I have overcome the problem. And guess know the reason for that,
actually at the time of creating the LAN maven repository, I have
installed common components under org.apache.commons groupId (
assuming the convention of groupId as package name ). So now when I
was including commons-logging as dependency in my pom.xml,
what I added to pom looked like

<groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
<version>1.1</version>

But there was another dependency in my pom.xml which as
commons-logging as transitive dependency with same version, so what
was happening(probably) was that maven instead of overriding the jar
file was renaming it, may be because the jars were differently
identified as groupId+artifactId+version.
Still a little confused about my own explanation of the happenings :)

Amit