If you're using "mvn install" or "mvn deploy" to install/deploy common
artifacts like commons-logging etc, then you're probably using Maven
wrong.

What you've described is exactly what the problem was. You had added
c-l as a particular G/A/V and then c-l was coming in as a transitive
dep under a different G/A/V. Since the plugin detected a name
collision, it expanded the name to include the group as well, to make
it unique.

Why did you install/deploy commons-logging instead of simply adding a
<dependency>? You're not the first person to report doing this, so I
want to understand if there is a failure in the documentation
somewhere or if new users are simply making poor assumptions about
what Maven does.

Wayne