I use the antrun-maven-plugin to do things like this. I'm not sure if that's the right way though!

In your specific case you could try

        <build>
      <plugin>
        <executions>
                <!-- bind to the "install" phase of the default lifecycle -->
          <execution>
            <phase>install</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>run</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <tasks>
                <copy todir="${todir}">
                  <fileset dir="${fromdir}" />
                </copy>
              </tasks>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
          <execution>
                <!-- not sure in which phase you want to execute your sql command
-->
            <phase>???</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>run</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <tasks>
                <!-- ant task to call subproject... -->
              </tasks>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
</build>

here is some more info on lifecycles/phases:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/introduction-to-the-lifecycle