On Jun 2, 2008, at 10:06 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Alan Gutierrez schrieb:
Related question:

In most of my projects I create command line tools. To get them up and running quickly, I use Ant and all the classpath configuration that is
already defined in my build.xml.

I've seen that you're supposed to use Profiles to switch out plugin
configurations, so I could use different profiles to change my antrun
tasks, effectively creating targets.

But, is that the best practice? I assume that there are one of three
choices. (Because, I explored making Maven switchable without writing
plugins, and was told that profiles where it.)

So I would recommend keeping maven for build tasks, and doing all the
other stuff that is, as you say, "only tangentially part of the build
process" separate, eg shell-script, perl, or ant. If it isn't part of a build lifecycle, then shoe-horning it into Maven will always be awkward.

This thread started with someone asking how to set up maven to
effectively act like
    ant runSomeArbitraryProcessing
and I think this is exactly the sort of thing that should NOT be pushed into a pom file. There is no reason why everything needs to be done via
Maven.

Simon

I'm happy to leave Maven focused on a build and deployment. The Ant task looks like it will be the method by which I implement command line utilities, without duplicating path management.

However, it seems like it would be best to create a convention for the shell script / batch file pair. Maybe utility that builds these utilities for you. If you name a utility such as database-export and create a class com.software.DatabaseExport.java, a Maven plugin can generate a database-export.sh and a database-export.bat that will know how to find libraries given an layout convention. The code for launching Ant or Groovy, those shell scripts and batch files, can be used as jumping off point for a convention.

Writing Java command line programs is easy using args4j. It's launching them and deploying them that is a problem.

This would be my preferred way of creating this utilities, since it would lead me to develop generally useful utilities, rather than one off Ant monsters.

Alan

--
Alan Gutierrez | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://blogometer.com/ | 504 717 1428
Think New Orleans | http://thinknola.com/