Wendy, thank you very much! Actually, with my current version of the war
plugin and your suggestion, the install and deploy phases perform exactly
what I want them to... I don't need a workaround anymore.

I looked at the results of the install and deploy phases and the artifact is
named with the correct classifier in both cases (after
installation/deployment). Perhaps the maintainers fixed the deploy plugin.

Just for reference, I'm using the latest snapshot of maven-war-plugin.