> How are you adding these jars to your runtime classpath?
Maven downloads them from the central repository as soon as I run maven. I
did not add any external repositories, I'm using the default one.

Why do I assume, that everything is included into the classpath? I've also
included itext, junit and javadoc via pom.xml and these work flawlessly
without any changes.
My ".classpath" looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<classpath>
        <classpathentry kind="src" output="target/classes"
path="src/main/java"/>
        <classpathentry excluding="**" kind="src" output="target/classes"
path="src/main/resources"/>
        <classpathentry kind="src" output="target/test-classes"
path="src/test/java"/>
        <classpathentry excluding="**" kind="src"
output="target/test-classes" path="src/test/resources"/>
        <classpathentry kind="con"
path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER"/>
        <classpathentry kind="con"
path="org.maven.ide.eclipse.MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER"/>
        <classpathentry kind="output" path="target/classes"/>
</classpath>

Perhaps this helps to figure out why javax.persistence doesn't work on my
project...

Uli