On Dec 19, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Baptiste MATHUS wrote:

And I'm also really wondering why you try to use maven in what seems to me
an ant-ish way.

I made a mistake in even mentioning Ant. It seems to give a sense that I'm closed-minded and unable to think in the "Maven way". I should have simply asked, "How do I do such-and-such in Maven?" and left it at that.

If you need more specific and totally unrelated tasks, and
you don't want a predefined packaging lifecycle

I don't know how I've given the impression that I'm trying to avoid the Maven lifecycle, or that I somehow want to twist Maven into an Ant clone. I'm simply giving examples of use cases that are common in my development cycle and wanting to know how to implement them with Maven.

like maven provides you
with, why don't you simply use ant alone?

We used to use Ant, but the management decided to switch to Maven. I guess the idea was to take advantage of the broader Maven features such as dependency resolution, convention-over-configuration, and so on.

However, I'm now facing difficulty trying to do things in Maven that we used to do with Ant -- building an installer, launching desktop apps in two different ways, etc. It seems that Maven makes some tasks very simple, but at the same time it makes others very complex.

Trevor