I get this impression from you when you ask about how to run tasks, that
are specific to a particular project, directly from a UI or the command
line. The whole mantra "Convention over Configuration" is to not have to
define specific new tasks for a project but rather to think about how
this task is related to the overall build lifecycle and plug it into the
appropriate place.

> However, I'm now facing difficulty trying to do things in
> Maven that we used to do with Ant -- building an installer,
> launching desktop apps in two different ways, etc. It seems
> that Maven makes some tasks very simple, but at the same time
> it makes others very complex.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is how are these tasks
related to the build lifecycle of your project. For example, when during
the build do you want to launch an app in one way and when do you want
to launch it in another?  I think the reason why you are having so much
trouble with Maven is that you want to "configure" it to do what you
want by giving it a specific command.

I do agree with you that it is more complex in the sense that Maven does
require more upfront thought regarding how a task fits into the
lifecycle. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

---
Todd Thiessen