Hi Todd!

maven-scm defines a SPI + a few plugins for various SCMs.   But although the
name of the project is maven-scm it is not only intended to be used with maven
only. There are other projecs (e.g. continuum) which use maven-scm for
accessing SCMs without maven.

The maven-scm-plugin on the other side is really a maven-plugin! And
maven-scm-plugin uses maven-scm to access the SCM you are using.

That's the reason why maven-scm-plugin uses the common parent pom used for all
maven-plugins (see maven-plugin-plugin for more details) and maven-scm doesn't.

LieGrue,
strub