Thanks Dan. I think I understand the reasoning for the distintion. Now I
would like to get a fix/enhancement built and submitted.

I can revisit this issue again (I have for the most part dropped it for
this week) and work on simply building the maven-scm-plugin project and
not all of maven-scm.  I wouldn't mind in parrallel going through the
steps to get my contribution reviewed, submitted and cut a new release
of the plugin.

---
Todd Thiessen