+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Langlois [mailto:slangl...@ilog.fr]
Sent: 23. februar 2009 16:11
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: Re: Mavenizing existing project

>> 2. Would I be better served by renaming directories at the start to
Maven
>> "Convention over Configuration" standards or by overrriding the
defaults
>> all
>> the way down the line?
>

> Yes.
>
> This is the way I recommend myself.
>
> There are two ways you can do this...
>
> 1. Make the changes in trunk, and keep the existing build process
> functional
> while you change everything... this allows you to ignore maven until
you
> get
> everything perfect.
>
> 2. Make the changes in a branch and merge them back when you're
ready...

I agree you should follow the Maven "happy path".

I migrated a big several-million-LOC project from Ant to Maven, and I
chose
a 3rd way, somewhat in-between.
The trick is to keep the trunk as it is, so that people can still work
with
Ant as they are used to, and to perform the migration in a branch.
In the branch, you commit only your pom.xml files and an empty folder
structure. Every time you need some files from the trunk, you use
svn:externals to make a kind of 'dynamic link' inside your SVN
repository.
Typically, your svn:external will look like this:
  module/submodule/src/main/java http://repo/trunk/module/submodule/src
This way, you can quietly migrate without bothering anyone.

When the migration is ready, you also need to make a shell script that
will
copy the pom.xml from the branch to the trunk and move all source
folders in
the right place.
Similarly, you can prepare and test this script quietly on your side
without
impacting developers.

The migration itself is then just a matter of minutes, while the script
is
run and you commit everything.

That was a little more work for me, but not having 40 stuck developers
on my
back while I was performing the migration was priceless :-)

Hope this will help you

Samuel