I was hoping to hear someone say that the war file should generate an error
or fail.

In our case, we have multiple versions of a general 'platform', each
represented by a war artifact. Derivative wars artifacts are built with
customizations and tailorings using a war overlay. When it becomes necessary
to fix or otherwise re-work a platform and re-release a corresponding
derivative, we need to exactly re-construct dependencies of the original
platform artifact [or risk including multiple versions] when building a new
one-off.

Unfortunately, the platform projects themselves are intermediate children of
a multi-module project and inherit from a <dependencyManagement> element
defined by that top-level [so that the latest version of a platform uses the
currently preferred versions of various dependencies.]

We must crack the war and meticulously re-create the dependencies of the
original platform when re-building. It would nice, at least, if a build
could systemically determine that a potential error has been introduced. On
the other hand, maybe we should re-think our use of <dependencyManagement>.

Thanks.

Brad