Take a look at this thread for both a discussion on the situation and
solutions.  Note that the earlier part of the thread didn't address
the real issue, so I started you somewhere in the middle.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/myfaces-users/200509.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

Rick was going to write a wiki entry on the situation, but I don't
think he's done so yet.

Basically, you need to preserve the value of rendered to the next request.
Using the t:saveState component is one way to do this.