No need for the VariableResolver for such stuff...
As Volker pointed out, it depends on the getter/setter methods.

VariableResolver in ManagedBeans is only needed when you need to look up
some beans with which you basolutely no direct connection. I dare
to guesitmate that this will hit less than 1% of all JSF-applications...

hth
Alexander