I have a need for similar functionality to the Tomahawk Extensions filter, and have been thinking about ways to achieve it without requiring user config. I was hoping I could find a standard JSF hook that I could plug into through a faces-config entry but haven't come up with anything viable yet. So I thought I'd ask the obvious question:

Is the extensions filter the only viable approach? If not, what are the other options and the reasons they were rejected in favour of the filter?

It seems to be a somewhat common problem that people either don't install the filter or don't get it configured correctly, so I'm guessing if there were a better way, the Tomahawk components would be using it... If it's simply the case that no-one's invested the time to implement a configuration-free alternative, and someone can describe what's involved, I'll be happy to contribute an implementation :-)

L.