Hi Elenh!
> I want to use a datatable element and render it as an HTML table
> element, following some rules which provide accessibility. As you may
> know accessibility rules demand a caption rendered for each HTML
> table, and some attributes rendered for each cell of the table.
According to
http://www.ferg.org/section508/accessible_tables.html#contents_item_6.1
I found that the id=/headers= is required for accessible tables,
however, they also state that screen readers may become smarter to read
simple tables.
>From the point of html - JSF tables are very simple - header/footer/rows
- no colspan, rowspan, etc ...

So, do you really think its worth the effort? Do you have a real need
for this?

Regarding the caption, if this is not supported, I'll help you out,
please open a JIRA at issues.apache.org/jira

Ciao,
Mario