Hi!
I am just curious which ajax framework do you use/recommend?
It is not meant as a recommendation, I have no further experience with other ajax frameworks.
I use the pprPanelGroup from tomahawk-sandbox.
Compared to the other ajax frameworks the pprPanelGroup might be too limited, don't kow ....

Together with subForm where possible/required.
Not sure if it helps you (3-4 days back - so it is brand-new), but I've added a preserveSubmittedValues="true|false" to the tomahawk subForm tag if a ppr outside of the subForm triggered the partial reload so that your model update will be reflected. On preserveSubmittedValues=false all submitted values of the embedded components will be nullified.

Ciao,
Mario