Hi,

just to put my 2ยข here and to show the advantages of tobago ;-)

In tobago the ajax requests are full integrated into the lifecycle.
We did this by taking and extending a copy of the Lifecycle impl from myfaces.
All phases are execuded as on normal requests execpt the process*
methods are not invoked on UIViewRoot but on the relevant component in
case of ajax.

I think such a Lifecycle approach is mutch better than the
PhaseListener way where all further lifecycle phases are bypassed.

May be a candidate for a jsf-commons project?

Regards,
    Volker