Random guess:
could it be your IE7 clients are configured to use a not so performant proxy ? Using complex forms with IE7 here, no special troubles En l'instant précis du 31/01/08 13:42, caped crusader s'exprimait en ces termes:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Our pages are very simple, very few images, very little javascript, and
we're not using any extra javascript libraries.

There is nothing obviously different in the server logs in terms of the
files being fetched. I'm going to try the suggestions here and see if what
turns up.

The puzzling aspect is the very large difference in time (by a factor of 4)
between IE and Firefox. This makes me wonder is there a difference in how IE
is handling either caching or if it is waiting for everything in the page to
load before rendering it to the screen, whereas FF is perhaps rendering the
page, but allowing non-visible elements to download in the background. Mind
you, in FF, the browser progress bar, which presumably the download status
of all elements on the page, completes in 6-7 seconds, compared to the 23 or
so of IE.

JM