Yes I agree with you.

The architecture needs more documentation, especially there are some
really important API classes that have no JavaDoc at all. As for the
maven-faces-plugin, I really dislike it. It does a nice job, but it is
really hard to work with and modify (speaking from experience). There
has been some discussion to move Trinidad to the new annotation
builder plug-in, but I personally don't know the status of that and
the opinion of the Trinidad contributors of changing the process.

Yeah, writing that WIKI gave me typer's cramp, it was the last straw
that pushed me to switch from QWERTY to the Dvorak keyboard layout, so
I agree that it should be more simple. FYI, I think that there are
maven archetypes out there that make it easier, but I am not 100%
certain there is an appropriate one.

As for more components, it is hard to write something that has no
ideas. No one has put any effort into suggesting, working on or
submitting new components to the Trinidad sandbox. So basically, if
there is no demand for specific components, why spend your own
personal time writing them and trying to guess what people want?

Skinning is a lot of work and I started one skin, but I lost my
motivation, but I think there is some that are working on one (search
the dev@ archives).

One problem I find with working with Trinidad is still supporting IE6
which makes life extremely miserable. The JS layer needs some major
refactoring (like no global functions and using a trinidad namespace
for all JS code for example) as well that makes any JS involved
component be more work than it should be.

Oracle still puts a lot of effort in Trinidad support and it still
uses Trinidad as a base for the rich client framework (if you want to
see the public demo, you can surf here:
http://jdevadf.oracle.com/adf-richclient-demo/faces/index.jspx) so
that is the primary reason that Trinidad's core framework is
constantly worked on, but since Oracle has their own renderers for
these components, there isn't the same focus on the Trinidad renderers
as there is on the framework.

Like all open source projects, there has to be a good user and
contributor community for it to truly prosper. Should people work on
new sandbox components and volunteer and start submitting patches for
the skin framework, progress would be seen.

As for how to contribute, it is as simple as creating JIRA tickets at
http://issues.apache.org and submitting patches. If a patch seems to
be growing old, then it is typical to ping the users@ or dev@ mailing
list requesting someone to look into it. It helps if there is adequate
comments. For any API changes, it is always best to discuss the change
on the dev@ mailing list. Before I became a committer I just helped
out on the mailing lists and submitted patches, it really is not too
difficult to get involved if the desire is there.

-Andrew