I'm not an expert, but I suspect this may just be due to newspaperColumns
or standard html wrapping.   You might try looking at the raw html for the
generated table source for the 1,2, 3 item cases and see if there's some
pattern in there.

A couple of other things to try:

See what happens if you get rid of newspaperColumns (or use a constant
value).

See what happens if you put your t:column data inside of an h:panelGrid
columns="1" component.