Just to go more into details, to use the standard JSF pps you can use normal h:commandLinks and f:ajax.

<h:commandLink ....>
  <f:ajax execute="control1, control2" render="..." />
</h:commandLink>

This functionality comes out of the box.
By using this myfaces.config.pps=true should show results.

Werner