On 03/09/2018 08:31 PM, Jerry Nicholson wrote:
"It’s important for all technology that we don’t hold back younger generations by supporting legacy as it slows evolution of technology."

I could not disagree more. It is important for youngsters to consider the amount of commitment to a particular technology that business has. If a company that employs many people uses a particular technology, then the transition to newer, possibly better technology must take that into account. If there is a large amount of software that is built using some package or another, it is stupid to just dump it because "younger" people like something else. This is business and business is life to programmers. You like getting paid? Rethink your transition theology. We all want new technology, but don't kill the goose that lays the new technology golden egg.

It's a balancing act.  My organization has been relying on 30+ year old technologies and is replacing the enterprise systems developed in-house with purchased systems.  Naturally the business practices that developed around the limitations of the existing systems don't fit the capabilities of any vendor product and the effects on staff are remarkable.  Programmers are becoming obsolete as they are replaced by implementation consultants.  I imagine that keeping it all in-house and changing the development methodologies would be equally chaotic.  That's why it's important to manage change rather than having it overtake your organization.

Ting ting blong mi, tasol.

Don