Let me try to answer in order of your points

#1. Netbeans Application to be started in given directory as current one -
As the application is based on netbeans platform and developed by you I can
think of overriding the current directory through some environmental
variables like in your logic develop a method/service to get the current
directory and in that logic first check if s certain environment variable
is defined which will have value for current directory.  If that value
exists the application will override the current directory or use that one
as its current directory.  This can also be a good user configuration your
provide for your application configuration to your users.

#2. Debug the NetBeans Application from NetBeans IDE - I believe there is a
Debug Project option in NetBeans IDE when a NetBeans Application project is
opened.  That option will start the NetBeans Platform application in debug
mode from your NetBeans IDE.  You will have to open the NetBeans
Application as project in NetBeans IDE and then add breakpoints and use the
Debug > Debug Project menu option to start the NetBeans Application in
debug mode

Hope this will help.

with regards
    Tushar