I don’t know what it means for a project to have “external source roots”, but
as others have noted, you have other (better) ways of making a backup of your
code rather than using the Netbeans function to copy a project.

Let me elaborate slightly.

One way to do this is to use your operating system, outside of netbeans, to
copy the directory structure.  I would recommend first exiting netbeans, just
to make sure everything is actually written out to disk.  Then navigate to the
directory containing the project and copy the entire directory structure.

For example, on a Linux system your project might be
/home/luistuti/NetBeansProjects/MostExcellentProject

Then you would use something like:
   $ cp  –archive  MostExcellentProject  MostExcellentProject-copy

Or create a tarball, using something like:
  $ tar -cvzf MostExcellentProject.tgz MostExcellentProject

But a much better way is to use a source code configuration control tool.
Nowadays everyone is using git, and it’s really powerful, so unless you already
have a favorite that you want to use, I suggest you get on board with git.
Netbeans has very good integration with git, so you can do it from within
Netbeans, or you can just go to the command line and run git commands from
there.

Good luck!

Duncan