I installed from netbeans.apache.org, and I'm now able to build Java and C++
programs (after installing the C++ plugin, that is). Thanks to the help I got
on this list.

Now for the next problem: the Java program I generate using Netbeans 11.1
appears fine, but it won't run because it claims that there is no main class.
In skeleton, the program reads:

package javaapplication1;
public class JavaApplication1 {
     public static void main(String[] args){}
}

When I try to run this, I get a pop-up to the effect that
javaapplication1.JavaApplication1 wasn't found in the project. Compare the
result using NetBeans 8.2 with the 1.8 JDK under Win10, where I didn't have to
tinker with anything to make it work.

--
Walter C. Oney, Jr., Esq.
267 Pearl Hill Rd., Fitchburg, MA 01420