Carl:

If you install AdoptOpenJDK, go to a command prompt and type "java
-version" and something other than an error message appears you've got a
JRE installed.

All I can tell you is that my experiment last evening worked as smoothly as
anything could be expected to work.  Installing AdoptOpenJDK 13 and  NB
11.1 on Windows10 (which had no prior java installation) works as
expected.  I cannot address the issues you are having with those older
versions of everything.

As for Windows version, I bought it shortly after Windows10 was released
and every time I turn on that box it nearly destroys the hard drive doing
updates.  What level it is at now I don't know and don't care enough to
find out.  I do know it is Pro -- I wouldn't buy anything else.  Home has
had too many problems in the past.

Hope you can find a solution for the issues you are experiencing.  At my
end it all works as designed.