This is a good first step. I think some rough edges remain though.

For example, if you go to the project properties ->Build->Compile and flip the
JDK between Java from 8 to 11+, I’m guessing everything breaks. Can we do
anything helpful in that situation?

JavaFX 13 requires Java 11. What version of JavaFX is used by default when you
pick a JDK 11 JavaFX project? I think it makes sense to default to the latest
version that runs on Java 11., but rather than having two different project
types for JavaFX, the new project wizard should have choices for JDK version
(when more than one JDK is configured) and a selection for JavaFX version where
the available options depend on the selected JDK version.

Scott