Hi All,

I've been working on migrating my platform application Blue to Maven.  I
have this working with RELEASE111 and Java 8.  However, when I move to Java
11, my app starts up, show the splash screen, shows messages about loading
modules, then disappears and nothing happens.  My application uses both
Swing and JavaFX and for Java 11 I've added OpenJFX into an NBM module and
had all of my modules that use JavaFX depend upon that module.

The problem I have right now is that even if I add
netbeans.logger.console=true to the .conf file, I don't see any useful
information that helps me to debug what is going on. I'm also not getting a
segfault as I do not see any dump files.

I do get a warning about "WARNING: Illegal reflective access by
org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory to field java.net.URL.handler" in
the startup.  I do not know if that is related to the early exit or not
(the only reports of related messages came up with Netbeans and Java 9 in
the past).  I am able to run Netbeans 11.1 on this machine.

For information, I am using openjdk-11 and this is on Xubuntu 18.04. This
is also my first foray into Java > 8 and using JavaFX. Log is printed at
end of this email. (It is the complete set of messages before the
application exits.)

Questions:

1. Is anyone using Swing+JavaFX in their platform apps on Java 11 and could
give any pointers as to how they did so?
2. Anyone run into a situation where their platform app just dies silently
have suggestions on how to diagnose?

For reference, this branch contains ongoing work with maven changes for
JavaFX and Java11:

https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/commits/mvn-java11

and there are CI builds if anyone wants to reproduce the silent quit:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/kunstmusik/blue/build/artifacts

Any help appreciated!
Steven

steven@ubuntu:~/blue/application/target/blue/bin$ ./blue
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by
org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory
(file:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/lib/boot.jar) to
field java.net.URL.handler
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of
org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal
reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
>Log Session: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 5:39:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>System Info:
  Product Version         = Blue
11.2-d04fb24027334c4b6fd8397b5d0cdd33187a8f54
  Operating System        = Linux version 5.0.0-32-generic running on amd64
  Java; VM; Vendor        = 11.0.4; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
11.0.4+11-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu218.04.3; Ubuntu
  Runtime                 = OpenJDK Runtime Environment
11.0.4+11-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu218.04.3
  Java Home               = /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
  System Locale; Encoding = en_US (blue); UTF-8
  Home Directory          = /home/steven
  Current Directory       = /home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/bin
  User Directory          = /home/steven/.blue/dev
  Cache Directory         = /home/steven/.blue/dev/var/cache
  Installation            = /home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/manual
                            /home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/etc
                            /home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/blue

/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform
                            /home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/bin
                            /home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/ide

/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/examples
                            /home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/extra

/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform
  Boot & Ext. Classpath   =
  Application Classpath   =
/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/lib/boot.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/lib/org-openide-util.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/lib/org-openide-util-lookup.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/lib/org-openide-util-ui.jar
  Startup Classpath       =
/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/core/org-netbeans-libs-asm.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/core/core.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/core/core-base.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/core/org-openide-filesystems.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/platform/core/asm-all-5.0.1.jar:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/blue/core/locale/core_blue.jar
INFO [blue.plaf.Installer]: Finished blue PLAF installation
WARNING [org.netbeans.core.projects.cache]: layer
jar:file:/home/steven/blue/application/target/blue/blue/modules/com-kunstmusik-blue-ui-editor.jar!/blue/ui/editor/layer.xml
contains duplicate folders named OptionsDialog/PreviewExamples/text
WARNING [org.openide.filesystems.Ordering]: Not all children in
Services/MIMEResolver/ marked with the position attribute:
[blue-ui-editor-csound-sco-CsoundScoDataObject-Extension.xml,
blue-ui-editor-objectBuilder-ObjectBuilderDataObject-Extension.xml,
org-netbeans-modules-javascript2-editor-lexer-JavaScriptDataObject-Extension.xml,
blue-ui-editor-blueSynthBuilder-BlueSynthBuilderDataObject-Extension.xml,
blue-ui-editor-csound-orc-CsoundOrcDataObject-Extension.xml,
org-netbeans-modules-python-editor-lexer-PythonDataObject-Extension.xml,
blue-ui-editor-clojure-ClojureDataObject-Extension.xml], but some are:
[org-openide-loaders-DataLoaderPool$InstanceLoaderSystem-Extension.xml,
org-netbeans-core-startup-layers-SystemFileSystem-Extension.xml,
org-netbeans-modules-editor-settings-storage-SettingsProvider-Registration.xml]