Yes, this might be a nice thing to have in a page.  I was thinking of doing
a write-up sometime from all of this as there were some interesting hurdles
(and still more to work through). Is the Confluence page linked anywhere on
netbeans.apache.org? I didn't see it mentioned.

I've switched my tool chain now to Java 11 JDK and it's bringing up other
issues now.  (Some oddities compiling with source=11 and invalid class
format at runtime ring a bell for anyone?) Will be some more days before
this is ironed out.

For now though, if anyone is interested, the JavaFX part seems to be
working well.  I have a maven module that wraps OpenJFX:

https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/tree/feature/maven/blue-ext-openjfx

and I had to add some exclusions when importing ControlsFX in another
module:

https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/blob/feature/maven/blue-ui-core/pom.xml#L277-L303

Seems to be working on Linux and MacOS (testing on Windows coming), but if
others have any particular tips I'd love to hear them. :)