On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 19:41, ronald marangwanda
<ronald.marangwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Im on Ubuntu 18.04 and the java im using is openjdk version "11.0.5"

Thanks.  Just had a bit of time to dig into this.  I can replicate
your issue with the duplicate launcher icon appearing, as of 11.2 -
earlier versions are fine.  I can't replicate the WM_CLASS of the IDE
window being wrong, but it seems the splash now has a WM_CLASS of
java.lang.Thread - is that what you ran xprop on?  Earlier versions
don't seem to have any WM_CLASS on the splash as far as I can tell.
Changing the desktop file to run NetBeans with --nosplash seems to fix
the duplicate icon issue.  Not sure what changed to cause this - I
thought the splash screen changes went into 11.1?!

Note that my StartupWMClass line above was wrong - should be (note
"IDE" was missing)

StartupWMClass=Apache NetBeans IDE 11.2

Best wishes,

Neil