You have not mentioned  ubuntu version , so I am hesitant to answer.

I too have created  desktop shortcut manually.

I prefer to use install kubuntu  directly after after I install ubuntu gnome.

because I do not want of deprive myself of free  stuff.

Anyway I have found the two important settings are

path to executable and path to icon.

I have never come across WMCLASS.

Here is  a copy of my  Netbeans  desktop short cut for kubuntu on ubuntu 18.

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_GB]=
Comment=
Exec=/home/kub18/netbeans/bin/netbeans
GenericName[en_GB]=
GenericName=
Icon=/home/kub18/netbeans/nb/netbeans.png
MimeType=
Name[en_GB]=NetBeans 11
Name=NetBeans 11
Path=