I'm not entirely certain why you installed Java 8 from Oracle when you
also have JDK 11 in the repository and NetBeans runs with Java 11.

The RPi is a capable machine, only slow part is the IO... You could
never compile something heavy on that thing although in the past you
would have compiled many things on a quad core / 4GB machine.

--emi