Well, you might be running out of file handles, try to increase the allowed number.

There is a change in NetBeans 12.2, that it does not necessarily closes the Gradle Project Connection on every Gradle invocation as in the previous versions.

Also newer Gradle versions started to do a lot of filesystem watch operation which also eat file handles.

If you can't share the actual project you have you might be able to share at least the gradle files with the project directory layout skeleton. The number of files would be also good.