I've set the variable
    set MAVEN_OPTS= -Duser.home=C:\sviluppo\user.home
here, in file
    C:\sviluppo\user.home\.m2\settings.xml
I've setup a repository in
<localRepository>/sviluppo/appdata/maven/current/repository</localRepository>
(the real path on disk is in win style).

Actually I've a main setup file
    C:\sviluppo\bin\dg.cmd
that I run when I start working (in a cmd.exe, of course, then nb => current netbeans, nb8 => the old one, ...).

It works, but your mileage can vary.

cheers,

    Davide Grandi