Java EE had bad reputation as it was over designed. Big companies trying to sell pricey support for their bloated "good for everything" Application Servers which required high level of knowledge as entry point for developers.

Then Spring came with it's bean context. It run on Tomcat and if you bind that with a persistent engine Hibernate, then you are done for the most use cases. So SprIng+Tomcat+Hibernate was "Java's LAMP stack" in after 2005 or so that became the de-facto standard. By the time the annotation based Java EE 5 came out it did not make too much difference, even if the offered injection based programming model was way more efficient than the xml based Spring contexts. I just did one of our internal system port to Java EE 5 from Spring around 2007. I could remove 40%+ of its code (the original code was around 600k lines).

Also by that time we had several teams really proficient with Spring+Tomcat+Hibernate, so it was easier to get a project accepted and delivered with that technology. In the meantime, Spring got the injection and finally embedded Tomcat into Spring Boot.