For the sake of completeness, I would like to reiterate what I wrote
off-list last week but meant to share with the whole list: I've had
problems setting up C/C++ for NetBeans three times, but each time I've
found Cygwin and GCC to be the right combination. I have not done anything
in C++ much more advanced than Hello World. I have also used NetBeans for
basic Fortran programs (that's done through C/C++, there might be a
historical irony in there somewhere).

But mostly I use NetBeans for Java. I don't use NetBeans for JavaScript or
PHP, but the support for those does seem to be well fleshed out.

And I should also mention that I'm still using Java 8, even though I'm
aware that JUnit and other important third-party Java tools have upgraded.

Al