Use of jlink and jpackage does NOT require that you use JPMS.

I have never made a “modular” application using JPMS, but I use jpackage all
the time (but I wasn’t making NetBeans platform apps). You just need to know
which modules from the JDK to include in the runtime, assuming you don’t need
all of them.

In my projects I use a custom Gradle task to run jlink and jpackage. It might
be more difficult with Maven, but it should be possible.

Scott