I don't think the Platform is opinionated about not including a JRE,
it's just that they can't under Apache.

NetBeans used to come as a JDK bundle in the Sun Microsystems and
Oracle days. So, all the plumbing is still there and in the conf file
is just a jdkhome to set.

It was relatively easy to include a JRE for Windows and macOS.

--emi