Mark,

What servlet specification is your project? Tomcat 7 (which is EOL BTW) will handle up to servlet specification 3.0 (J2EE 6 Web). Anything later will require a later version of Tomcat. Tomcat 9 is probably the best choice until you're ready to switch to the Jakarta namespace.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/