The original Gradle (7.5) doc says:

The project root directory contains all source files that are part of your project. In addition, it contains files and directories that are generated by Gradle such as |.gradle| and |build|. While the former are usually checked in to source control, the latter are transient files used by Gradle to support features like incremental builds.

see: https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/directory_layout.html#dir:project_root

regards,

Bernd