Hi Tilman,

this happens only on windows and indicates corrupted configuration files. It is not clear what the cause for the corruption is, but we added some mitigations to NetBeans 19 which should make it hopefully a bit more robust if the corruption is already there.

you can read more about it here: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/6094 and on the (many) linked issues.

I suppose you imported your old NB 8 config into NB 18 when the issue started?

The easiest fix to this is to simply start with a fresh config and don't import configs esp when they are ancient.

You could scan your NB 8 config if you are curious and check what else contains the invalid code points:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/6076#issuecomment-1596588677

I have the (small) hope that the corruption is something what happened in past caused by an ancient NB release and is only a problem today because the config is carried over to apache releases. If this assumption is true, it should go away by itself esp after the NB 19 import filters are in place. If it keeps happening on windows we going to have to keep digging. (I am not using windows for anything which makes it more difficult to find problems like this.)

best regards,
michael